High School... Again.

So I've started my second year of college, and it feels almost exactly like the first year. That is to say, it feels almost exactly like High School part 2, except for now it's part 3, and I'm getting really fed up with it all.

People told me to wait for college, that it would be my shining point, and I would love it so much. Out there in college, they said, the goals are academia, not popularity contests! Wit and intellect are rewarded with great fervor! You'll find friends who are so like you, because that's what college is for! Smart people!

Wrong.

College is for everyone who managed to make it out of high school without being shot or killing themselves. Anyone who can sign a piece of paper to apply and get a loan to go is now here, sitting in my classes, eating up the brain energy and causing me to be cramped and uncomfortable.

Now, of course, "they" tell me that it doesn't really kick in until your Junior or Senior year of college. Excuse me?

Okay - Yes, I am aware that college can be what I make it. I won't find those friends with similar interests if I don't go to events and actively try to find them. Cool, so which soccer game, Indian dance show and mudball event do I attend to find geeks? Oh, try SPOON! They have geeks there!

No, those are anime nerds. Yes, sometimes that Venn diagram overlaps a little bit, but I have NO interest in anime as a pastime, so to weed through all of the people who are just WAITING to orgasm out all of the episodes of Death Note at me just to find someone who might have watched Buffy and who might be interested in a game of Dungeons and Dragons... no thanks.

So, what then? Go to all of the events I have no interest in and hope someone like me shows up?

I'm not looking for a group or responsibility, so I don't really want to go to the trouble to start a Club or Organization or something. I just want to make contact with a few people like me on this campus and share numbers and find friends. Isn't that how that works? I don't know.

I've never really "found" friends. Friends kind of find me. I just happened to sit next to KayLo at Orientation, and we ended up rooming together for Freshman Year. Fiance came from the internets. Even Linz was from a website of shared interests.

The more I look around each classroom, the less I feel like reaching out to talk to ANY of these mooks. I'll be nice and helpful, but I feel lied to.

This isn't a place for intelligence to shine. This is a place for intelligence to try and crack its way out of the dome of ignorance and uselessness. Sure, maybe by Junior or Senior year the chaff will have dropped out and I can merge with people who share my major, but by that point, I fear I'll be too tired of this whole experience.

On a side note - What the bleepity is up with pre-requisites? It's bad enough that I have to sit through hours of subjects I care nothing about, but when they force attendance for a grade AND require group projects, I just want to stomp my foot and hold up a giant sign saying "GO BACK AND TEACH HIGH SCHOOL I AM PAYING YOU TO BE HERE SO I CAN LEARN NOT VICE VERSA".

Or cry. Crying is also something I want to do these days.

I just want to be grown up and out of this place. And class is starting.

Woo, History.

 

1 comments:

Lindsey Ison said...

You wanna know where I found my best friends at school? Two places, really. CV classes, and in the back of regular classes looking just as bored as me. If you aren't a part of CV, you should definitely look into it. I was never really much for hanging at the "lounge" or gaming in the techie gamers' room, but there's good people there. The CV classes are smaller, have more fun stuff to do, and are generally full of cool people. Even if you can't become a CV-er, talk to Dr. H(?) or Gina (she knows all) and see if you can get into a couple of the classes.

I especially liked the one on American Pop Culture, and the class that was held at the DMA.