Insufficient Funds

Update at the bottom: 11:00am 9/16/08

So, I check the mail this morning, hoping to find that my monthly rent check from my so gracious grandparents had arrived. Instead, I get this letter from Washington Mutual telling me that they're closing my account due to my transactions exceeding limitations.


That's funny, I have $75 in checking and $500-ish in savings. And don't you guys make $12 for every overdraft I do? And didn't I sign up for overdraft protection? What are you protecting me from, then? Overdraft fairies?

Yes, I overdrew a few times, but most of the incidents occured at the very beginning of my fledgling relationship with WaMu, wherein they sent me a Debit card but neglected to send me my PIN for about, oh, 2-3 weeks. So, I had to do guesswork to try and make sure I knew what every transaction I had done was, and when it would come out. Naturally, they would amass over one week and all go through on the same day. WEIRD HOW THAT WORKS. And they also go through in the order that would get them the MOST from overdraft fees.

Wacky!

But yeah. I've been mostly clean, aside from a few checks that had been post-dated, and thus were impossible for me to track, other than to guess and try and keep the right amount in the account at all times. That doesn't work all the time, but whatever.

I was going to go join Wachovia and get a free $25 for me and Fiance anyway. Screw you, WaMu. You guys were most unhelpful. One of the overdraft fees I'm still scratching my head at, because my account available balance never went under $100, much less $0. They were fining me for a transaction that MIGHT make me overdrawn, but hadn't yet.

Enjoy the free $12 this time, jerkwads.

Now I have to go start a new bank account instead of slacking off before class. :(




Update!

So it turns out it was my SAVINGS account that had done too much "transacting" and was getting shut down. I still withdrew what I had in it and moved it over to Wachovia, because I wasn't going to open another savings account with WaMu when I'm still not certain why they shut down my old one.

The guy tried to tell me that transferring money back and forth was only doable 6 times a month, and if you go over that, then federally they have to shut you down. Nobody else has told me anything like this, including my much friendlier assistant at Wachovia who helped get me set up. So, whatever, WaMu. I'm leaving a little bit of money in the checking to make sure nothing is coming out of it, and then I'm high-tailing it out of there.

They've always been kind of aloof and uninformative when I had questions or concerns about my accounts and fees they charged me. Any attempt to get help puts me into either a phone queue or an email chain with a robot, and nothing ever comes of it. Wachovia does seem to have to best customer service I've seen in a bank chain, and I am looking forward to working with them.

Just gotta make sure I get my debit card & checks soon, so's I can pay the bills. I think I'll be fine, though.

Blargh.

 

0 comments: